Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Meatload

I love dinner. I don’t mean go out (that’s nice on occasion too), but I love to sit down and eat a home cooked dinner. Growing up it was the law of the land that we are home at 6pm to sit down and eat. Dinner was so important to my family growing up; my brother and I always chose to have friends over so we wouldn’t miss that time together. It was never anything fancy, your standard dinner, meat, vegetable, side and salad. My mom always made it a point to make sure that she cooked something for dinner every weeknight. This is a practice that I’ve inherited (or I would have starved to death by now).

I also love email. Sending and receiving…it’s what keeps me going throughout the day. One main person I get emails from is my best friend Heidi (she’s also my cousin so her name might also come up in family entries at some point). She lives in Austin with her family so we email each other about a million times a day. Ok, now to the point…she sends me recipes that went over really wel with her family and are generally really easy to prepare. Recently, she sent me something that has turned into a favorite of both my main squeeze and me.

Chicken, Feta and Spinach Meatloaf. Sounds good, huh? It’s so good I decided to share! I made it my own by changing it slightly but it was very good, and very easy nonetheless. Hope you like it.


Chicken Feta- Spinach Meatloaf

• 3 lbs ground skinless Chicken thighs
• 1cup (approximately) Italian Style Bread crumbs
• 3 Tbs. + /- to taste of Garlic- Pepper mix from Whole Foods
• ½ lb cow feta crumbled
• ½ bag (4 oz) fresh Spinach (cut with pizza cutter)
• 1 egg: lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix chicken, bread crumbs and seasoning. Add Feta and Spinach. Mix well.
Add Egg. Mix well.
13 x 9 x 2 Pan - form into rectangle shape about length of the pan. About 2 inches thick.
Cook uncovered 1 hour and 5 minutes


*I did change this recipe a bit and it turned out great. I halved the recipe, used ground turkey (not chicken), and used frozen spinach (thawed).


As my mom and grandma always said "make it your own". I encourage you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment