Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Circle...


When I was younger I gave people "stuff" just as fast as I could make it (no holiday needed). You name it I’d make it; earrings, necklaces, worry dolls, collages, leaves glued to paper…completely custom stuff! The main recipient of my gifts was my grandma, even if she helped me make the crafts, she still accepted and wore it like it was made of gold and diamonds. Simply, she was my biggest fan, and my craft buddy.

Since her passing I’ve gotten a majority of the things back that I’ve made for her. It’s sort of ironic, getting back the things you handmade for someone. You never really think of the life something will see once it’s out of your hands. I of course, held onto to everything but stored them away. This entry is really about the stuff that I got yesterday, nothing that I made but the stuff that was made by my grandma.

It’s been 8 years coming, it was the first time that I’ve been able to go through stuff that was my grandma’s without shedding a single tear or feel like my heart was being burned out of my chest. I finally got to claim what my grandma left behind. Her 90 years of being an artist and crafter was right there in a few boxes.

Aside from the paintings that I'm going to frame and some of the jewelry that I'll keep for myself, I found an amazing amount of very old costume jewelry. My grandma, being the thrifty lady she was re-purposed anything that was broken and obviously never threw anything out. I don't think I can bear to throw any of this stuff out either. I took a bunch of beautiful pieces and amazingly have become very inspired.

Mixing old with new, it's such a obvious concept but really shines for me in this situation. She was proud of everything I ever made her, wasn't it my turn to keep and be proud of all that she did? It's like the whole circle of life thing...but circle of crafts and handmade. Isn't that why we all do it? Not to turn a crazy profit but to share the love and heart that goes into a piece that specifically came from your hand. That's why I made her all those wonderful macaroni necklaces...and that's why I hand make things now.

This may just be the best therapy I never paid for. Whenever I feel her memory fade I'll use her rhinestone pin and make it the focal point of a feather fascinator. I'll re-purpose a cameo pendant she made and put it on a headband. Take what she's created, make it my own and share it with others...the spirit of handmade.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that about Grandma too! That is a great entry T!

    ReplyDelete