Friday, October 9, 2009

Happy Tails


Lately, all signs have been pointing to me writing this entry…it’s about pet adoption.

Yesterday while waiting at the doctor’s office, I picked up some random waiting room magazine that had Lisa Edelstein (Dr. Cuddy from “House”) on the cover. Since I have an irrational love of all things “House” I read on and it pleasantly surprised me. It talked about she has adopted three dogs and is big animal adoption advocate and even volunteers at her local animal shelters (‘There’s your sign!’).

I really started to think about how much adopted animals have changed my life. After years of begging for a dog, when I was younger I told myself “as soon as I have a place of my own, I’m gonna get a dog” and that’s just what I did. About a year ago I came across my Beagle, Ratchet’s (yes, I renamed him and yes, he is named after a Transformer) listing on Craigslist. I met him and fell in love. It wasn’t a case of abuse or anything like that, his previous owner couldn’t keep him because of a no-pet rule in her lease. I was very lucky to be able to adopt a truly sweet and loving dog, although it did take awhile to adjust for us both.

I’m not the only person that has had amazing luck with animal adoption. My parents (the people who never let their kids have a dog J) just adopted a Beagle named Wylie from a wonderful pet adoption organization. Castaway Pet Resuce is a small but great place that really takes the time to find the perfect home for their dogs. Wylie is super spoiled and has brought my parents a lot of joy (and he’s a great playmate for my two dogs). Another adopted dog in my inner circle is Kaya, a fluffy ball of sweetness adopted by good friends Molly & Ryan.

So what’s the point of all this rambling about adopted dogs? I guess it’s just to raise awareness about all those dogs who are sitting shelters that need loving homes. Do they take a little bit of work to adjust? Sure, but animals bought from a breeder and a pet stores require the same patience and love (I also have a purebred lab at home too). Going to shelters can also give you a real understanding of all different breeds and give you a chance to interact with all types of dogs. Adopting a pet and welcoming an animal into your home can be one of the most rewarding experiences.

(Pictures above are Ratchet, Kaya and Wylie)

No comments:

Post a Comment